Skip to main content

You Become What You Think About

 Here is another selection from my upcoming book, The Daily Uplift . I selected the title, as this month, I am listening to the classic recording by Earl Nightingale, The Strangest Secret. I dedicated this passage to my hometown of Rittman, Ohio.


We Become What We Think About

 

The community where I live. Rittman, Ohio, is a town that has seen its share of hard luck. That can probably be said about many towns on this planet, but I have called Rittman my home for the past 40 years. I have seen several businesses and a large employer go out of business in this time.

I have also been the marching band announcer for the local high school since the 2000—2001 school year. In this time, I have seen ups and downs on the football field, and from 2006 to 2021, there have been more downs than ups.

The town has seen hard times because other nearby larger communities, most of which are off major roadways, have gotten the major retailers that have put mom and pop businesses out of business. The decommissioning of a state route can be one of the reasons the box factory in town suffered a slow death and is now a partially a vacant lot. The rest of this land is occupied by a nature preserve. An oversight in the tax code has caused the city to now operate at a deficit.

The high school football program has suffered for years. This was originally caused by deep budget cuts, made necessary because of a failure to pass an operating levy. Another contributing factor is that Ohio is a state that permits open enrollment.

Recently things have been changing in our town. I hope that my podcast. Around Rittman, is one of the factors. I have adopted “Keeping it Positive in the 44270” (Rittman’s Zip code), as my tag line. I also add “From Rittman, Ohio, the little town that can.” In my podcast intro.

In the past several months, I have seen things done because people in the town want to see these happen. We had not had a community Easter egg hunt for years. We had one this year because there were enough people that cared and carried the ball. There are plans for a meet and treat in October because the same people took the ball and ran with it. People in Rittman are caring and show it. We are making a positive difference.

Because of a couple of young ladies, who refused to take NO for an answer, our town also has a farmers’ market on Thursday nights. This is also thanks to a local church that graciously given use of their parking lot.

We have a ministry center in Rittman, called The Server. This place serves as the nerve center for many of the non-profit activities in town. It is also a place where people can have a cup of coffee, or other beverage, a Danish, or breakfast and lunch, all for free. Businesses, churches and individuals donate to the Server.

Now to the football team. Since the 2022-2023 school year, the coaching staff has been on a mission.  The had coach, a devoted family man and born again Christian, has taken ownership the program from the youth program, all the way to high school varsity. He helps to instill the same values on all levels. He has also encouraged the high school players to become involved in the youth program, middle school program, and in the community. I recently went to the fast food place to get my wife a slice of pie, which is what I take home to her after each game. People there know me and let me know they had some of the players working there and liked their work ethic. I let the coach know that as I was interviewing him for the podcast and he was happy to hear it.

As the title says, “You become what you think about.” This is a line repeated from Earl Nightengale’s classic The Strangest Secret. I am beginning to think the people here in Rittman are thinking themselves as winners.

Thinking of yourself as a winner can become infectious. I have been called out because of my mission of positivity. It is so much nicer to be positive than it is to be negative. I also find that people like me more when I maintain this, though it can be difficult at times.

People feel better about the town when we have things like the Easter egg hunt, the meet and treat, and the farmer’s market.

The football program is getting stronger. We have won twice as many games this year as we did last year, and there are 4 more games to play. I also feel an air of respect from other schools that we have played.

When you think like a winner, you become a winner. This is not an eventual thing. You are a winner when you think you are a winner.

 

Thinking thoughts of success

Yourself you are going to bless

You are going to win
Again and again

That’s what you need to confess

 

Think of you, your team, and your town, all as winners. You will be amazed how catchy that is.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post 800: Time to chat

Hi Guys, It's hard to believe that this is post number 800 for this blog. I started this blog out of my desire to communicate. Since radio and television is becoming more and more automated and less and less personal, I'm glad I made the decision to go in this direction as it has given me many blessings. When I first decided to write my musings, a friend from the radio and television boards who goes by the name of newsnomore, told me not to be discouraged if I didn't get any readers. The fact that I did in the early going made me surprised and grateful that anyone was enjoying what I wrote. I've had people tell me that maybe it wasn't meant for me to ever be in radio, that maybe my calling was blogging. Nowadays I think blogging makes for better two way conversation than terrestrial radio, especially the way I do it, non confrontational. The closest I come from any confrontation is the innocent digs that Pat and I shoot at each other. On an average day I get betwee

Sometimes Sports are Just Sports

 This may or may not make the final cut of my book. I was writing about some events this weekend and what had started as a joyous Friday night at my home school district became a weekend of heartbreak in the area after what happened at another school. Sometimes We Need to Realize That Sports are Just Games   Friday nights in late summer and early fall are sometimes a big deal for high school students and their families. As the long-time band announcer for my local high school, it is a time of year I always look forward to. This past Friday night was originally supposed to be the homecoming game for the local high school. The schedule had to be changed a bit because of the uncertainty of the opponents being able to field a team. There was talk around the league that they may have had to forfeit this game, so homecoming for the local school was rescheduled. The opponents, which are rivals of my local school district, were able to field a team and the game was played. The game was

Lawson's Chip Dip

On a couple of occasions I have written posts dedicated to Lawson's, a convenience store chain that was located in Ohio for close to 50 years. In the late 1980's the chain was bought out by Dairy Mart, of Engfield Ct. Dairy Mart was then purchased by Alimentation Couche-Tard, and most stored were rebranded Circle K. Something that has survived the years since Lawson's has left the landscape is Lawson's Chip Dip. I get many hits on this blog from people out of Ohio, I'm thinking former Buckeyes, looking for availability of this chip dip. I had gotten an email from a former resident of Cleveland looking for it. I emailed Circle K about this sometime ago asking if it was possible to send the dip out to those out of state, they said because of quality issues that it was not possible. My only suggestion would be to get in touch with Circle K in your home area and ask them to start stocking this very popular item that seems to make every get-together complete. Now we wil