Skip to main content

I Like Jeff Kinzbach Because.......

When I was more actively blogging, I used to write these post quite often. Matter of fact, I was informed that one of them was printed and posted in the mail room at the Akron Radio Center. The subject was WQMX morning show co-host and program director, Sue Wilson. The informant was fellow band announcer and WONE program director, Tim Daugherty. Tim proposed to Sue on the air this morning. Congrats to them both.

My subject today is another radio veteran. Jeff Kinzbach is an area radio legend. For years he, and newsman Ed "Flash" Ferenc were part of the highly rated Buzzard Morning Zoo on WMMS. As all good things, this came to an end. For awhile, the duo had an afternoon talk show on WTAM. Once this ended, Jeff and Flash went their separate ways. Jeff's route took him, and his wife, Patti, to Dallas, where among other things, Jeff established himself in business and raised cattle. Jeff had sent me a very detailed response that I attached to the comments to a post I had written. He emphasized the need of a back up plan.

A bit of homesickness brought Jeff and Patti back to Ohio. I found out in the most unlikely of ways. I was not going to be announcing the band show for the Rittman game on a particular night, as the bus would leave before I could get off work. I had heard that Highland, the school I graduated from was having alumni night, complete with an alumni band. I sent the Highland band director an email offering to be the alumni announcer that night. His response was that he had a new announcer who was anxious to start. He was "Jeff from Jeff and Flash." I shot Jeff a friend request on Facebook, which he graciously accepted. We then messaged back and forth, pertaining to announcing halftime shows. I sent him a tongue in cheek message, giving him three bits of advice: One, listen to the band director. Two, the show is on the field, not in the pressbox. And three, don't piss off the parents, as the band boosters are a very hard working group of people who always have to take a back seat to the sports boosters.

Later in the season, Rittman and Highland appeared in the same band show. Jeff came looking for me and made it a point to introduce me and my daughter to his wife Patti. For a few minutes we had a good exchange. He also messaged me the next day, telling me how much he enjoyed the Rittman performance. To me, this is someone who appreciates what life has given him and is willing to give back.

Since coming back to the Buckeye State, Jeff has found his way back on the airwaves, first being a substitute host on WNCX. Two weeks ago, Tim Daugherty introduced Kinzbach as the new morning show host on WONE. There are many aging baby boomers who were excited about this news. I'm excited about this because it's always great when a nice guy is on the winning end. Two weeks into the morning show, I find myself entertained by someone who has been to the top and has found a way to reinvent himself. And I find myself listening mainly to two radio stations originating from the same building. Live and local still exists, you just have to look for it.

Also Ed Esposito is a solid news pro, who adds his own brand of entertainment to the new morning show.

Cliff Note: The photo in this post was stolen from Ohio Media Watch.

© 2013 Cliff Feightner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post 800: Time to chat

Hi Guys, It's hard to believe that this is post number 800 for this blog. I started this blog out of my desire to communicate. Since radio and television is becoming more and more automated and less and less personal, I'm glad I made the decision to go in this direction as it has given me many blessings. When I first decided to write my musings, a friend from the radio and television boards who goes by the name of newsnomore, told me not to be discouraged if I didn't get any readers. The fact that I did in the early going made me surprised and grateful that anyone was enjoying what I wrote. I've had people tell me that maybe it wasn't meant for me to ever be in radio, that maybe my calling was blogging. Nowadays I think blogging makes for better two way conversation than terrestrial radio, especially the way I do it, non confrontational. The closest I come from any confrontation is the innocent digs that Pat and I shoot at each other. On an average day I get betwee

Sometimes Sports are Just Sports

 This may or may not make the final cut of my book. I was writing about some events this weekend and what had started as a joyous Friday night at my home school district became a weekend of heartbreak in the area after what happened at another school. Sometimes We Need to Realize That Sports are Just Games   Friday nights in late summer and early fall are sometimes a big deal for high school students and their families. As the long-time band announcer for my local high school, it is a time of year I always look forward to. This past Friday night was originally supposed to be the homecoming game for the local high school. The schedule had to be changed a bit because of the uncertainty of the opponents being able to field a team. There was talk around the league that they may have had to forfeit this game, so homecoming for the local school was rescheduled. The opponents, which are rivals of my local school district, were able to field a team and the game was played. The game was

Lawson's Chip Dip

On a couple of occasions I have written posts dedicated to Lawson's, a convenience store chain that was located in Ohio for close to 50 years. In the late 1980's the chain was bought out by Dairy Mart, of Engfield Ct. Dairy Mart was then purchased by Alimentation Couche-Tard, and most stored were rebranded Circle K. Something that has survived the years since Lawson's has left the landscape is Lawson's Chip Dip. I get many hits on this blog from people out of Ohio, I'm thinking former Buckeyes, looking for availability of this chip dip. I had gotten an email from a former resident of Cleveland looking for it. I emailed Circle K about this sometime ago asking if it was possible to send the dip out to those out of state, they said because of quality issues that it was not possible. My only suggestion would be to get in touch with Circle K in your home area and ask them to start stocking this very popular item that seems to make every get-together complete. Now we wil