Skip to main content

From 1968-2009 in a few short paragraphs

This post is dedicated to my 7th grade English teacher, Mrs. Leiberman, who made us write a stupid journal, making entries in it every day. I hated it then, but I blog now. Go figure...

When I was reintroduced to Beth a few weeks ago, I was also reintroduced to some pleasant memories of my junior high and high school years. You see, Beth was everybody's friend and I was one of probably several boys who had a crush on her. I admitted that when we were reintroduced. Yesterday I was there getting my paper and pop on my way to work. The cashier had a problem getting the money out of my hand. I made a comment about it being rare that a woman has trouble getting money from a man. Beth then held her hand out, saying that she heard that. I told her that she missed her chance 40 years ago. She told me she never knew until I told her a few weeks ago.

I learned the spring before, going to another school district, when you were the fat kid from the other side of the tracks, that you had to be very careful in admitting you liked a girl. I admitted that I liked this girl who happened to be one of the most popular girls in class. When she had found this out, you would have thought I carried the plague and for the rest of the school year, I was known as "that thing."

So anyway, we had just moved right before school started. Nothing new for me as we moved after 2nd grade, third grade, during fourth grade during sixth grade , then before seventh grade. New school, but same district I went from K-2. For most, I was a new kid though. Some kids learned how to get my goat then play on the fact that I had a bad temper. A few kids befriended me. Beth was one of those, but by her admission, she was everybody's friend.

Beth had also told me about another girl in our class who also had transferred from another school system. Carol was one who seemed a lot more mature than others in our class. She was protective of herself but also extremely protective of the underdog. During our school years together, Carol went to bat for me, so to speak, several times. She also put me in my place a few times. To be honest, those times I deserved it.

What I didn't know until this morning was that Carol was snubbed by some of the more popular in our class. She didn't deserve that. No one does. I hate it when people look down their noses at other, but unfortunately, it happens in all places and situations. And at all ages.

According to Beth, Carol still sticks up for the underdog even though life hasn't dealt her what we would call a fair hand.

We need more Beths, who manage to find the good in others, and Carols, who is willing to fight for you to get a fair shake. Not to mention the fact that Carol is also one to forgive without a second thought. I know that first hand.

I also want to end this with a special Cliff Note: Although I had my interests in school, I have been in love with the same young lady since December, 1977 and have been married to her since March 10, 1979.

Comments

Mike Golch said…
I know the feeling of being the odd person out.Mine was due to having seizures.
Busy Bee Suz said…
I moved around a lot too, 3 different high schools. I blame that for my lack of face book friends. :) that was a joke. Glad you were able to reconnect with Beth!
Anonymous said…
I was the "odd man out" when I moved here from the south when I was 12. I always got the "how come you talk funny" question. Never really had any friends; and when I turned 18 my mom decided to have a birthday party for me (against my wishes) and invited 10 classmates to the party...not one of them showed up. I told her that didn't surprise me at all. She was so angry cause she had made a huge food spread and it all went to waste. Also my senior year was voted "most individualistic" and found out about 4 years later that when they voted for that they really meant you were the "class A**hole". The school soon did away with that category when they found out.
Ms Hen's said…
I love the ending to this post.., very sweet and lucky you.

Popular posts from this blog

Post 800: Time to chat

Hi Guys, It's hard to believe that this is post number 800 for this blog. I started this blog out of my desire to communicate. Since radio and television is becoming more and more automated and less and less personal, I'm glad I made the decision to go in this direction as it has given me many blessings. When I first decided to write my musings, a friend from the radio and television boards who goes by the name of newsnomore, told me not to be discouraged if I didn't get any readers. The fact that I did in the early going made me surprised and grateful that anyone was enjoying what I wrote. I've had people tell me that maybe it wasn't meant for me to ever be in radio, that maybe my calling was blogging. Nowadays I think blogging makes for better two way conversation than terrestrial radio, especially the way I do it, non confrontational. The closest I come from any confrontation is the innocent digs that Pat and I shoot at each other. On an average day I get betwee

Lawson's Chip Dip

On a couple of occasions I have written posts dedicated to Lawson's, a convenience store chain that was located in Ohio for close to 50 years. In the late 1980's the chain was bought out by Dairy Mart, of Engfield Ct. Dairy Mart was then purchased by Alimentation Couche-Tard, and most stored were rebranded Circle K. Something that has survived the years since Lawson's has left the landscape is Lawson's Chip Dip. I get many hits on this blog from people out of Ohio, I'm thinking former Buckeyes, looking for availability of this chip dip. I had gotten an email from a former resident of Cleveland looking for it. I emailed Circle K about this sometime ago asking if it was possible to send the dip out to those out of state, they said because of quality issues that it was not possible. My only suggestion would be to get in touch with Circle K in your home area and ask them to start stocking this very popular item that seems to make every get-together complete. Now we wil

Sometimes Sports are Just Sports

 This may or may not make the final cut of my book. I was writing about some events this weekend and what had started as a joyous Friday night at my home school district became a weekend of heartbreak in the area after what happened at another school. Sometimes We Need to Realize That Sports are Just Games   Friday nights in late summer and early fall are sometimes a big deal for high school students and their families. As the long-time band announcer for my local high school, it is a time of year I always look forward to. This past Friday night was originally supposed to be the homecoming game for the local high school. The schedule had to be changed a bit because of the uncertainty of the opponents being able to field a team. There was talk around the league that they may have had to forfeit this game, so homecoming for the local school was rescheduled. The opponents, which are rivals of my local school district, were able to field a team and the game was played. The game was