Tuesday, June 09, 2009

My job

I have worked at my company for, unofficially, 17 years. When I first started working there in June, 1992, the average work week was 55-57 hours. Sometimes you worked more than that. I was 36 years old at the time and I could handle the long hours and short nights of sleep.

17 years and three knee surgeries later, I need less hours work and more hours sleep. Even moving into a quasi desk job, I still find it difficult to crawl out of bed at 3am. I could get up later if I wanted to put up with both rush hours. But this morning, things will change slightly.

I received a call from my department manager yesterday. I was notified that I had to cut my time down to 40 hours. This would be down from 44-45 that I normally work. No surprise there as all the other departments got notified before I was. And I had to split my time between plants, doing calibrations at the other shop 1-1/2 days a week. I'm actually looking forward to the change.

I also like the prospect of getting an hour extra sleep in the morning. I will start an hour later, which means I will have to contend with the first part of the morning rush and therefore have to plan my drive accordingly. With construction on I-77 at two places in my commute, that will present a challenge. Good part is I will get to listen to more Wynn and Wilson in the Morning on my way in.

And the best part is that I still have a job.

11 comments:

Ms Hen said...

I love your EXCELLENT perspective.

(hugs)

me

Karen said...

I'm am all for an extra hours sleep. Good luck with all your changes. Hey, sometimes change IS for the better right?

WZZP said...

Enjoy the extra hour.

Shellmo said...

I'm glad you will get some extra rest and that you have your job - blessings in disguise!

Daisy said...

Good luck with the commute, Cliff. Watch out for all those crazy rush hour drivers. Change can be a good thing sometimes and yes, still having a job is definitely something to be grateful for.

Mike Golch said...

great perspective.

Syd said...

Well, you are a positive fellow and I like that. I could use an extra hour in the morning as well. Seems that the older I get the more I like to sleep in.

Pat Jenkins said...

why don't you stay up an hour later?

Ben said...

It's probably a good tradeoff - sleep is a good thing, and good for you. This from a guy who averages six hours a night.

Margaret said...

As always, you have a good outlook on the situation.

Jen said...

"You've got to accentuate the positive
Eliminate the negative
And latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mister In-Between"

;)