Skip to main content

It's Working Out!

I'm writing this post after returning from a 14 mile bike ride. One I've taken before. But this time I thought I had bitten off more than I could chew.

We will back up to my workouts. I had spent the prior 3 days utilizing the fitness center at my work. My aim is to be working "in the zone", or working up a good sweat at about a level 7. With several machines at my disposal, I could mix a variety of exercises, all designed to build up my legs and drop pounds along the way, that is if I can manage to eat right, and believe me I've also been working on that.

Yesterday I went in the fitness center about 7:15am. I wanted to get a good workout in before I started work at 9. I decided to reverse the order of machines used, and got on the treadmill first. I ended up spending 25 minutes on the treadmill, then after a rest, 30 on the stationary bike. Then after a shower, off to work. In my mind, a good workout.

Today is the first day of daylight savings time, and with a high in the 60's not a bad day here in Ohio. Considering I started the winter on crutches and had to transition back to walking, it wasn't a bad time to have a mild winter. I was going to go for the usual 1.7 mile walk I've been taking lately, but the bike path was calling my name.

Now for those unaware, the bike path I ride is also known as the County Line Trail, which makes no sense because the county line is a mile north of the trail. Where I get on the trail is 1/4 mile before the 1 mile marker. It's also about a mile from my house. My original intent was to turn around once I got to the town of Sterling, about half way into the trail. I got there, found a bench to sit on, then decided to go all the way to the end, which is in Creston.

Once in Creston, I decided to go to the Circle K convenience store. I bought me a Polar Pop, or a fountain Diet Coke, and a banana. I took my grandson on this trail last summer. Rested at the same place. When we got back to my house, he found some pizza coupons and said we could eat pizza while we rested the next time. I told him that would defeat the purpose. Good news is there is a Subway inside the Circle K, and I'm starting to like some of their salad possibilities.

On the way back to the trail, there was an accident with my water bottle and I lost about 2/3 of the water in it. I thought I would stop at a restaurant in Sterling and refill when I got there. No dice, restaurant closed. And I didn't have any money for the vending machine in front. So when I needed water, I could just take a sip. Good thing it was getting cooler. Was also a good thing that I could coast a lot along the way. My legs were starting to feel like lead. And I also need to get a wider seat for the bike.

And around the 2 mile marker is a shelter. And in the shelter is a bench. And once I got there, I entered the shelter and parked my butt on that bench. Stayed there awhile, probably wasn't a good idea since my legs felt heavier when I got back on the bike. Even though, it wasn't that far now, I thought I would never get back home. But let's take some inventory: I'm 56 years old, have an artificial left knee, and I'm 4-1/2 months removed from having a plate and 9 screws in my left ankle. All in all I'm not doing all that bad. And since the shelter had no wifi, you can see I made it home.

Now after a shower and granola bar, I'm sore but am feeling good about my accomplishment. And I intend on becoming more familiar with the County Line Trail.

Comments

Syd said…
Good job! I think that you did great for a 14 mile ride. Have you thought about joining a local cycling group?
Busy Bee Suz said…
14 miles is a really good ride....I do hope you keep your phone on you just in case. You know....if you get lost? :)
I'd say you are beating the odds here with all your new parts! {Bionic man?}
Cliff said…
After my incident last October when I called 9-1-1 from my in-law's back yard(nobody could hear my screaming), I don't leave my house without my phone. And the GPS feature is handy when you are trying to figure out where you are on the trail.
I think that's totally awesome! Keep up the motivation and dedication to your fitness goals.

Val

Popular posts from this blog

Post 800: Time to chat

Hi Guys, It's hard to believe that this is post number 800 for this blog. I started this blog out of my desire to communicate. Since radio and television is becoming more and more automated and less and less personal, I'm glad I made the decision to go in this direction as it has given me many blessings. When I first decided to write my musings, a friend from the radio and television boards who goes by the name of newsnomore, told me not to be discouraged if I didn't get any readers. The fact that I did in the early going made me surprised and grateful that anyone was enjoying what I wrote. I've had people tell me that maybe it wasn't meant for me to ever be in radio, that maybe my calling was blogging. Nowadays I think blogging makes for better two way conversation than terrestrial radio, especially the way I do it, non confrontational. The closest I come from any confrontation is the innocent digs that Pat and I shoot at each other. On an average day I get betwee

Sometimes Sports are Just Sports

 This may or may not make the final cut of my book. I was writing about some events this weekend and what had started as a joyous Friday night at my home school district became a weekend of heartbreak in the area after what happened at another school. Sometimes We Need to Realize That Sports are Just Games   Friday nights in late summer and early fall are sometimes a big deal for high school students and their families. As the long-time band announcer for my local high school, it is a time of year I always look forward to. This past Friday night was originally supposed to be the homecoming game for the local high school. The schedule had to be changed a bit because of the uncertainty of the opponents being able to field a team. There was talk around the league that they may have had to forfeit this game, so homecoming for the local school was rescheduled. The opponents, which are rivals of my local school district, were able to field a team and the game was played. The game was

Lawson's Chip Dip

On a couple of occasions I have written posts dedicated to Lawson's, a convenience store chain that was located in Ohio for close to 50 years. In the late 1980's the chain was bought out by Dairy Mart, of Engfield Ct. Dairy Mart was then purchased by Alimentation Couche-Tard, and most stored were rebranded Circle K. Something that has survived the years since Lawson's has left the landscape is Lawson's Chip Dip. I get many hits on this blog from people out of Ohio, I'm thinking former Buckeyes, looking for availability of this chip dip. I had gotten an email from a former resident of Cleveland looking for it. I emailed Circle K about this sometime ago asking if it was possible to send the dip out to those out of state, they said because of quality issues that it was not possible. My only suggestion would be to get in touch with Circle K in your home area and ask them to start stocking this very popular item that seems to make every get-together complete. Now we wil