Skip to main content

Adventures in Limerick Land, NASCAR Style

As many of you know, there are times when I wax poetic and I can keep the rhymes coming. Always best when I'm near my keyboard. This past Sunday, NASCAR raced at Martinsville. I was in my car when the race started. During the pre race show, it was said that Hendrick Motorsports were going for their 200th win. Their first came at Martinsville. The favorite going into this race was five time Sprint Cup champ Jimmie Johnson. I thought of this limerick to post on Facebook if this has come to fruition:

The forty eight driven by Jimmie
The car did not shake or shimmy
Great calls by Knauss
Brought a win to the house
And the grandfather clock was a gimmie

Needless to say, this is the first time I made this one public. And the grandfather clock is the trophy given to the winner at Martinsville.

As the race was progressing, I started to post some limericks on Facebook. Jeff Gordon was dominating the race early. I wrote this limerick:
Jeff Gordon is leading the pack
While driving around the short track
If it keeps up, he's in
Hendrick's 200th win
He'll get a clock instead of a plaque


 And yes, Jeff is a Hendrick driver. As the race progressed, Kasey Kahne was having some trouble. Kahne started on the pole:
Kasey has started to choke
His car has belched out some smoke
The car's in the pits
His points taking hits
A very poor April Fool's joke


 Oh oh, as the Fox announcer said, if it weren't for bad luck, Kasey would have no luck.

Fan favorite, Dale Earnhardt Jr, had momentarily taken the lead, and the crowd roared.
Junior was hearing the crowd
They were cheering for him real loud
Passing Jeff for the lead
And picking up speed
However not left in a cloud


And others were making the show interesting. Columbian driver Juan Pablo Montoya and Ken Schraeder met on the track, sending Montoya into the inside wall: .
Montoya was riding real clean
Until he met Schraeder's machine
He went for a ride
Hit something inside
Sometimes the fate can be mean


And Carl Edwards got into the spirit of April Fool's day, telling crew chief Bob Osbourne something was wrong with his transmission, then saying it was a joke.
Old Carl said something was wrong
Sang Osbourne a nasty sad song
Said the tranny was broke
Then said was a joke
Bob's palipatitiations were long


The race itself, seemed to be in the hands of Johnson or Gordon. I posted this one with 100 laps to go:
With less than 100 to go
The driving is quite a good show
I now have a hunch
That one of Rick's bunch
Will set victory lane all aglow


And this one was also posted: But things don't proceed as expected.
Jimmie and Jeff's in slot one and slot two
Both know what they need to do
They need to race clean
And not to be mean
To the pedal apply some more shoe


But gas was running low with the front runners:
The Hendrick cars needing some gas
They're hoping that no one will pass
They're hoping no shock
Will lose them the clock
And losing they will have to show class


And a late race caution brought this meeting between Gordon, Johnson, and Clint Bowyer:
Jimmie is singing this song
Asking what the hell went wrong
Bowyer sent him and Jeff in
They went for a spin
Felt like a big bang on the gong


And this opened the door for Ryan Newman.
Ryan is now feeling fine
His car, the thirty nine
He drove like a ringer
And beat Allmendinger
And doesn't have need to whine

 Made for an enjoyable Sunday afternoon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post 800: Time to chat

Hi Guys, It's hard to believe that this is post number 800 for this blog. I started this blog out of my desire to communicate. Since radio and television is becoming more and more automated and less and less personal, I'm glad I made the decision to go in this direction as it has given me many blessings. When I first decided to write my musings, a friend from the radio and television boards who goes by the name of newsnomore, told me not to be discouraged if I didn't get any readers. The fact that I did in the early going made me surprised and grateful that anyone was enjoying what I wrote. I've had people tell me that maybe it wasn't meant for me to ever be in radio, that maybe my calling was blogging. Nowadays I think blogging makes for better two way conversation than terrestrial radio, especially the way I do it, non confrontational. The closest I come from any confrontation is the innocent digs that Pat and I shoot at each other. On an average day I get betwee

Sometimes Sports are Just Sports

 This may or may not make the final cut of my book. I was writing about some events this weekend and what had started as a joyous Friday night at my home school district became a weekend of heartbreak in the area after what happened at another school. Sometimes We Need to Realize That Sports are Just Games   Friday nights in late summer and early fall are sometimes a big deal for high school students and their families. As the long-time band announcer for my local high school, it is a time of year I always look forward to. This past Friday night was originally supposed to be the homecoming game for the local high school. The schedule had to be changed a bit because of the uncertainty of the opponents being able to field a team. There was talk around the league that they may have had to forfeit this game, so homecoming for the local school was rescheduled. The opponents, which are rivals of my local school district, were able to field a team and the game was played. The game was

Lawson's Chip Dip

On a couple of occasions I have written posts dedicated to Lawson's, a convenience store chain that was located in Ohio for close to 50 years. In the late 1980's the chain was bought out by Dairy Mart, of Engfield Ct. Dairy Mart was then purchased by Alimentation Couche-Tard, and most stored were rebranded Circle K. Something that has survived the years since Lawson's has left the landscape is Lawson's Chip Dip. I get many hits on this blog from people out of Ohio, I'm thinking former Buckeyes, looking for availability of this chip dip. I had gotten an email from a former resident of Cleveland looking for it. I emailed Circle K about this sometime ago asking if it was possible to send the dip out to those out of state, they said because of quality issues that it was not possible. My only suggestion would be to get in touch with Circle K in your home area and ask them to start stocking this very popular item that seems to make every get-together complete. Now we wil