Skip to main content

No news is good news?

I was reading the publisher's notes in this week's edition of The Post. Bruce Trogdon was musing about what the reaction will be for their publishing a story about the TEA Party rally in Medina this past Thursday. He feared the liberals would fill inbox's of Post staff because of the coverage in some of the editions and feared conservatives would do the same because the story wasn't run in other editions, due to deadlines.

I have to agree with Bruce on one thing: The story was run because it was news. If the Ku Klux Klan held a rally in a community covered by the paper, it would have been run for the same reason. Problem with many people nowadays is they think everything happening is a conspiracy.

He also mentioned that people complain because of the political slant of letters to the editor. Bruce went on to explain that the letters get published in proportion to the percentage of views. I read some of the letters, some have good points(whether they are conservative or liberal) and others are redundant. My opinion is some write letters because nobody at home will listen to them. Cliff Note:Kind of hard to take someone seriously when they are wearing foil hats.

I'm sure that the politicians and talk show hosts do not lose any sleep over letters to the editor, though I wish they would every once in awhile. As I noted in the previous paragraph, some people have very valid points and I wish their congressional office would take the time to read some of them.

And as far as writing about any rally, whether I agree with their views or not, I still believe in freedom of the press.

Comments

clean and crazy said…
you are such a blessing to read. you made your point without picking a side, i find that impossible to do, though i am no journalist, and neither are some of the raving lunatics out there.

i wish news would go back to being news, not one sided or propaganda.

today i try to have a sense of humor about it, though my political views are that of liberal, i think that the only real news, unbiased, i get today is from jon stewart and stephen colbert!! and they are on comedy central!! at least today i can learn to let go, though being a strong dem in kansas may get my tires slashed. i have the bumper sticker that says, i support the president on it, the current one, i know right now that is not popular and in a red state, i am liable to get run off the road for it!!

why can't we all just be, you know. but i refuse to be terrorized by the community at large and i don't go out there and scream my views at people, but my car does.. so i am prepared for any backlash, i guess.

anyway thank you for writing such a beautiful piece here, and though sometimes that first amendment bites us in the butt, thanks to the likes of fred phelps, i am grateful for the freedom there is always good and bad in everything, well it is late and i have dishes to do. hope all is well with you, we got our garden started this last week and bought a used rototiller, my oldest lettered in JROTC and was the bell of her Military Ball. and my girls are just growing like weeds, 2 weeds, literally.
Minerva said…
That's a great theory- Some write letters because no one at home will listen to them. That's good!

Seems like lots of people are out to look for the slant or the conspiracy when there really isn't one.

Popular posts from this blog

Post 800: Time to chat

Hi Guys, It's hard to believe that this is post number 800 for this blog. I started this blog out of my desire to communicate. Since radio and television is becoming more and more automated and less and less personal, I'm glad I made the decision to go in this direction as it has given me many blessings. When I first decided to write my musings, a friend from the radio and television boards who goes by the name of newsnomore, told me not to be discouraged if I didn't get any readers. The fact that I did in the early going made me surprised and grateful that anyone was enjoying what I wrote. I've had people tell me that maybe it wasn't meant for me to ever be in radio, that maybe my calling was blogging. Nowadays I think blogging makes for better two way conversation than terrestrial radio, especially the way I do it, non confrontational. The closest I come from any confrontation is the innocent digs that Pat and I shoot at each other. On an average day I get betwee

Lawson's Chip Dip

On a couple of occasions I have written posts dedicated to Lawson's, a convenience store chain that was located in Ohio for close to 50 years. In the late 1980's the chain was bought out by Dairy Mart, of Engfield Ct. Dairy Mart was then purchased by Alimentation Couche-Tard, and most stored were rebranded Circle K. Something that has survived the years since Lawson's has left the landscape is Lawson's Chip Dip. I get many hits on this blog from people out of Ohio, I'm thinking former Buckeyes, looking for availability of this chip dip. I had gotten an email from a former resident of Cleveland looking for it. I emailed Circle K about this sometime ago asking if it was possible to send the dip out to those out of state, they said because of quality issues that it was not possible. My only suggestion would be to get in touch with Circle K in your home area and ask them to start stocking this very popular item that seems to make every get-together complete. Now we wil

Sometimes Sports are Just Sports

 This may or may not make the final cut of my book. I was writing about some events this weekend and what had started as a joyous Friday night at my home school district became a weekend of heartbreak in the area after what happened at another school. Sometimes We Need to Realize That Sports are Just Games   Friday nights in late summer and early fall are sometimes a big deal for high school students and their families. As the long-time band announcer for my local high school, it is a time of year I always look forward to. This past Friday night was originally supposed to be the homecoming game for the local high school. The schedule had to be changed a bit because of the uncertainty of the opponents being able to field a team. There was talk around the league that they may have had to forfeit this game, so homecoming for the local school was rescheduled. The opponents, which are rivals of my local school district, were able to field a team and the game was played. The game was