Skip to main content

Sunday Musing: A tale of two TV families.

As there are many baby boomers who read this blog, we realize that we are the first generation raised with the aid of television. We come to know many fictional families that way: The Bunkers, the Jeffersons, the Bradfords, the Cleavers, and many more. In this edition of Sunday Musings, I want to dwell on two of my favorites: the Cunninghams and the Winslows.

First the Cunninghams. The Cunninghams were the main family on Happy Days. We met them in January, 1974, and spent 11 seasons as a guest in their home in Milwaukee. Howard Cunningham owned Cunningham Hardware, Marion was a housewife. When we first started visiting their home in Milwaukee, we also saw their three children, Richie, Joanie, and Chuck.

The Winslows were the stars of the series, Family Matters. We were their guests in their home for nine seasons. Carl Winslow was a member of the Chicago police department. His wife Harriet held a variety of jobs during this time. When the series began, the Winslows had three kids: Laura, Eddie, and Judy.

As I promised last week, I will tell about some similarities between the two families and their shows.

First the Cunningham living room and the Winslow living room looked a lot alike. Matter of fact, the set from Laverne and Shirley, a spinoff of Happy Days, looked vary much like the set of Perfect Strangers, a show in which Family Matters was spun off.

Both families lost a member during the series with no explanation. The Cunninghams lost Chuck, who vanished without a trace after he went to college. The Winslows lost Judy, the youngest. I think she was abducted by aliens, who used a memory erasing ray on the rest of the Winslows. I mean, what other explanation do you have for a child missing from a cop's family?

Both shows had a non member of the family take over the show. Happy Days introduced Arthur Fonzerelli, aka, the Fonz. Fonzie portrayed the ultimate in cool. He would eventually move into the apartment above the Cunningham garage.

Family Matters had Steven Q. Urkel, the ultimate in nerd. He would eventually move into the Winslow home.

The reason I liked both shows and still will watch them if it's convenient is the the innocence of both families. There was some physical comedy and some intellectual comedy. No need for overt sexual or vulgar humor. We learned to like the characters because they were, for the most part, pretty much as human as we were. The exception to this were some of the things that were done by Urkel and the Fonz.

I've never needed for any crossing of lines to be entertained or have some good laughs. You can find enough to laugh about in real life.

Tomorrow: A classic post from last May when the traveling Vietnam wall was in Wadsworth, Ohio.

Comments

Busy Bee Suz said…
I loved both of these shows too...but never pondered the missing siblings.
Now, I am concerned and will not sleep until Judy and Chuck are found.
Should I call the guys from Hill Street Blues???
WZZP said…
Sit on it!
Minerva said…
I haven't see Judy or Chuck on any milk cartons..
I liked the actor that played Carl Winslow in the movie Die Hard, too.
Mike Golch said…
these are good show that did not have to use vulgar words or acts.

Busy Bee Sue,That show was a great show to watch as well.
Connie said…
Fun trip down memory lane, Wixy.
Pat Jenkins said…
only one family depicts how disfunctional life really is though.... the simpsons!!... he he...
Cliff said…
Pat, I think that the Bundys and the Conners(Roseanne) would give the Simpsons a run for the money.
Syd said…
Thanks for the memories. The one that I always laughed at was the Jeffersons. George cracked me up.
Ms Hen's said…
Very wise revelations.. the outsider of the family was allowed to be the most eccentric.. lol.

I was in-love with the Fonz.. lol.

Popular posts from this blog

Post 800: Time to chat

Hi Guys, It's hard to believe that this is post number 800 for this blog. I started this blog out of my desire to communicate. Since radio and television is becoming more and more automated and less and less personal, I'm glad I made the decision to go in this direction as it has given me many blessings. When I first decided to write my musings, a friend from the radio and television boards who goes by the name of newsnomore, told me not to be discouraged if I didn't get any readers. The fact that I did in the early going made me surprised and grateful that anyone was enjoying what I wrote. I've had people tell me that maybe it wasn't meant for me to ever be in radio, that maybe my calling was blogging. Nowadays I think blogging makes for better two way conversation than terrestrial radio, especially the way I do it, non confrontational. The closest I come from any confrontation is the innocent digs that Pat and I shoot at each other. On an average day I get betwee

Sometimes Sports are Just Sports

 This may or may not make the final cut of my book. I was writing about some events this weekend and what had started as a joyous Friday night at my home school district became a weekend of heartbreak in the area after what happened at another school. Sometimes We Need to Realize That Sports are Just Games   Friday nights in late summer and early fall are sometimes a big deal for high school students and their families. As the long-time band announcer for my local high school, it is a time of year I always look forward to. This past Friday night was originally supposed to be the homecoming game for the local high school. The schedule had to be changed a bit because of the uncertainty of the opponents being able to field a team. There was talk around the league that they may have had to forfeit this game, so homecoming for the local school was rescheduled. The opponents, which are rivals of my local school district, were able to field a team and the game was played. The game was

Lawson's Chip Dip

On a couple of occasions I have written posts dedicated to Lawson's, a convenience store chain that was located in Ohio for close to 50 years. In the late 1980's the chain was bought out by Dairy Mart, of Engfield Ct. Dairy Mart was then purchased by Alimentation Couche-Tard, and most stored were rebranded Circle K. Something that has survived the years since Lawson's has left the landscape is Lawson's Chip Dip. I get many hits on this blog from people out of Ohio, I'm thinking former Buckeyes, looking for availability of this chip dip. I had gotten an email from a former resident of Cleveland looking for it. I emailed Circle K about this sometime ago asking if it was possible to send the dip out to those out of state, they said because of quality issues that it was not possible. My only suggestion would be to get in touch with Circle K in your home area and ask them to start stocking this very popular item that seems to make every get-together complete. Now we wil