Skip to main content

And now some awards for the media folks, Top Banana style


We all know they like to get awards. But who cares about the CMA Awards, Marconis, or even an Emmy, I'm talking about the coveted Top Banana award. Some are bloggers while others have had some influence here and I want to show my appreciation to all of these good folks.

First the Tough Job, but Someone's got to do it Top Banana goes to Scott Wynn of Scott Wynn's Window fame. Scott is one half of the Wynn and Wilson Morning Show on WQMX 94.9, Akron, Ohio. He also reviews movies for AkronNewsNow.com. The reviews along with his view of various life issues is available on his Blogger site. Scott is also a good guy and shows it in public.

Next, the Real Sweetie and Even Likes My Poetry Top Banana goes to the other half of that morning show, Sue Wilson, of Voiceover fame. I have been told by several in media how well liked Sue is and I feel it an honor that she has given me recognition over the air of some of my blogging. I will miss hearing the first part of their program while I am temporarily out of the early morning rush hour traffic.

Now I will award some Top Bananas to some without blogs.

First, Tim Daugherty, morning show host at WONE/97.5, Akron is bestowed the Professional Radio Geek Top Banana. I have shared the pressbox at high school band shows with Tim on three occasions. We always get to talking about area radio from "back in the day". Tim is very enthusiastic when he talks about it. Another thing Tim told me was about the "I like...because" post I wrote for Sue Wilson. It had been printed and posted in the mail room at the Akron Radio Center. I was flattered. Tim is a consummate professional, and a person who is in a line of work who many only dream of being in. And the most evident thing about Tim is that he is not full of himself.

The Family Values Top Banana is awarded to Don Olson, Ohio Broadcast Hall of Famer. Don made a name for himself as a radio and television newsman before hanging the microphone up and going to work as a media representative for Medical Mutual in Cleveland. One of the reasons Don left television was to be able to spend more time with his family and is very active in his boys' activities. Hhe is proud of his boys and his wife, Joyce. Don is also one of my Facebook Friends.

The No Pain, No Gain Top Banana goes to Mike Trivisonno of WTAM/1100, Cleveland. Though the times Triv has mentioned me over the air, it's always been something disparaging, I have to admit he's always good for a few extra hits here. I did have a newfound respect for Triv with the way he handled his wife's passing from cancer. I will miss his interrupting the traffic reports that I'm trying to hear as I'm driving home in the winter. And if I have my way, this will be a permanent miss.

Paul Rado, former Triv show producer gets the We Will Hear From You Again Top Banana. Paul was told he was no longer needed just before the suits went home last March. I was the second person he called with the news. His wife, understandably so, was the first. I have no doubt that Paul will come back in a big way.

All the above mentioned folks have had something to do with encouraging me to do my best, whether it be a good word from them, or an on air mention.

Next: Some I missed and honorable mentions.

Cliff Note: Things are moving a little slower than I anticipated on this blog, as I am putting some effort in getting my "ducks in a row."

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank you Cliff.

I shall always cherish my Top Banana!

Happy 2010!

Don
Minerva said…
Here's hoping that your ducks line up for you real soon.

The best part about Top Banana awards are that they introduce me to some interesting blogs/people.
Tim Lones said…
Cliff:
While I've never met Don personally, he strikes me as a real upstanding, good guy...He has been encouraging me since even before I started my blog, when I was posting more on Radio-Info and radioinsight..And you gotta love his real Polish name "Ostapowicz"..Again, thanks for the Banana..Sometimes I think you talk about me too much, but as long as its good, it is appreciated..Good luck in the job search..
Shelley said…
Sounds like a worthy bunch here!

Popular posts from this blog

Post 800: Time to chat

Hi Guys, It's hard to believe that this is post number 800 for this blog. I started this blog out of my desire to communicate. Since radio and television is becoming more and more automated and less and less personal, I'm glad I made the decision to go in this direction as it has given me many blessings. When I first decided to write my musings, a friend from the radio and television boards who goes by the name of newsnomore, told me not to be discouraged if I didn't get any readers. The fact that I did in the early going made me surprised and grateful that anyone was enjoying what I wrote. I've had people tell me that maybe it wasn't meant for me to ever be in radio, that maybe my calling was blogging. Nowadays I think blogging makes for better two way conversation than terrestrial radio, especially the way I do it, non confrontational. The closest I come from any confrontation is the innocent digs that Pat and I shoot at each other. On an average day I get betwee

Lawson's Chip Dip

On a couple of occasions I have written posts dedicated to Lawson's, a convenience store chain that was located in Ohio for close to 50 years. In the late 1980's the chain was bought out by Dairy Mart, of Engfield Ct. Dairy Mart was then purchased by Alimentation Couche-Tard, and most stored were rebranded Circle K. Something that has survived the years since Lawson's has left the landscape is Lawson's Chip Dip. I get many hits on this blog from people out of Ohio, I'm thinking former Buckeyes, looking for availability of this chip dip. I had gotten an email from a former resident of Cleveland looking for it. I emailed Circle K about this sometime ago asking if it was possible to send the dip out to those out of state, they said because of quality issues that it was not possible. My only suggestion would be to get in touch with Circle K in your home area and ask them to start stocking this very popular item that seems to make every get-together complete. Now we wil

Sometimes Sports are Just Sports

 This may or may not make the final cut of my book. I was writing about some events this weekend and what had started as a joyous Friday night at my home school district became a weekend of heartbreak in the area after what happened at another school. Sometimes We Need to Realize That Sports are Just Games   Friday nights in late summer and early fall are sometimes a big deal for high school students and their families. As the long-time band announcer for my local high school, it is a time of year I always look forward to. This past Friday night was originally supposed to be the homecoming game for the local high school. The schedule had to be changed a bit because of the uncertainty of the opponents being able to field a team. There was talk around the league that they may have had to forfeit this game, so homecoming for the local school was rescheduled. The opponents, which are rivals of my local school district, were able to field a team and the game was played. The game was