Skip to main content

Work you love

In the past several months, I've been communicating with folks who are or have been in either radio, television, or both. I've had some dialogue with disc jockeys, board operators, producers, salespeople, etc. I've gotten insights that I wouldn't otherwise have gotten. No matter what capacity these folks are or were in, they were in love with the business, and show a definite passion for it.

I was checking the comments on my blog today and noticed one from Mike Dane, who is one of the dedicated volunteers who do a very professional job on the Sunday Oldies Jukebox. That's a group of folks who love what they are doing, and do their absolute best at it.

And speaking of work to love, my wife started her new job this week as a home health aide. She had done this kind of work before, but the kids were young and she was needed at home more at the time. Now with the kids all grown and either in college or married, she can devote time to this work. She had been a retail clerk but hated it.

My son is going to college and studying music. He hopes to have a career in some aspect of the music field when he graduates. My oldest daughter is studying to be a dietician, and is driving me nuts at times telling me what I can and can't eat(I'm diabetic). My other daughter is majoring in special education and will be doing student teaching shortly. I wish them all well.

I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

Check out Dan Miller's website. It's called 48days.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post 800: Time to chat

Hi Guys, It's hard to believe that this is post number 800 for this blog. I started this blog out of my desire to communicate. Since radio and television is becoming more and more automated and less and less personal, I'm glad I made the decision to go in this direction as it has given me many blessings. When I first decided to write my musings, a friend from the radio and television boards who goes by the name of newsnomore, told me not to be discouraged if I didn't get any readers. The fact that I did in the early going made me surprised and grateful that anyone was enjoying what I wrote. I've had people tell me that maybe it wasn't meant for me to ever be in radio, that maybe my calling was blogging. Nowadays I think blogging makes for better two way conversation than terrestrial radio, especially the way I do it, non confrontational. The closest I come from any confrontation is the innocent digs that Pat and I shoot at each other. On an average day I get betwee

Sometimes Sports are Just Sports

 This may or may not make the final cut of my book. I was writing about some events this weekend and what had started as a joyous Friday night at my home school district became a weekend of heartbreak in the area after what happened at another school. Sometimes We Need to Realize That Sports are Just Games   Friday nights in late summer and early fall are sometimes a big deal for high school students and their families. As the long-time band announcer for my local high school, it is a time of year I always look forward to. This past Friday night was originally supposed to be the homecoming game for the local high school. The schedule had to be changed a bit because of the uncertainty of the opponents being able to field a team. There was talk around the league that they may have had to forfeit this game, so homecoming for the local school was rescheduled. The opponents, which are rivals of my local school district, were able to field a team and the game was played. The game was

Lawson's Chip Dip

On a couple of occasions I have written posts dedicated to Lawson's, a convenience store chain that was located in Ohio for close to 50 years. In the late 1980's the chain was bought out by Dairy Mart, of Engfield Ct. Dairy Mart was then purchased by Alimentation Couche-Tard, and most stored were rebranded Circle K. Something that has survived the years since Lawson's has left the landscape is Lawson's Chip Dip. I get many hits on this blog from people out of Ohio, I'm thinking former Buckeyes, looking for availability of this chip dip. I had gotten an email from a former resident of Cleveland looking for it. I emailed Circle K about this sometime ago asking if it was possible to send the dip out to those out of state, they said because of quality issues that it was not possible. My only suggestion would be to get in touch with Circle K in your home area and ask them to start stocking this very popular item that seems to make every get-together complete. Now we wil