Skip to main content

Wednesday Madness

I wanted the band show post to remain on top for a couple of days, so I thought I would take a short break from blogging. Here are some short notes that I'm pecking out as I take my morning break at work.

First, as the marching band season draws to a close this week, I need to recognize the WGBB, or World's Greatest Band Boosters, my name for the Rittman Band Boosters. Once again this year they have done a stellar job in supporting the band. They have also done a good job at feeding my ego(and I eat it up). One of these fine folks has become one of my best supporters. Brenda will step aside, as her son graduates at the end of the school year. It's been a real pleasure working with her and I am looking forward to our continued friendship. Brenda has also been a contributor to this blog, sending me photos from band concerts and from the Florida trip last spring. On the band show post, Brenda is in the top picture, to the right of her good friend and longtime band booster, Luann.

Now if you don't mind, I want to rant. 2 weeks ago a 14 year old suspended student went into a school in downtown Cleveland with the intent on going on a shooting spree. The police, taking a proactive stance, stormed into the school building looking for the shooter, which has been the way police have been trained since Columbine. Chances are this had saved lives. By the time they had cornered the shooter he turned the gun on himself.

One of the police on the scene had taken a picture of the shooter with his camera phone. Asa Coon, the student, was lying in a pool of his own blood after taking his life. Somehow this picture got on the Internet and ended on the website of a local radio personality who calls himself Rover. This was not only done in bad taste, but inconsiderate on the part of whoever was possible for placing the photo there. I have never seen the picture, nor do I want to. first place I read about it was this post on Ohio Media Watch. I also heard it on WKYC/3 News. I don't see what possible good could come out of a photo like that being posted on the web.

Lastly, two things remind me to write this rant. First I have been reminded that the Evil Big Box store has it's grand opening in Cleveland, which brings the first Wal Mart inside city limits. Second the CHRISTMAS shopping season is about to begin(we are not politically correct here we say MERRY CHRISTMAS). Back to the original thought. Please tell all you know that handicapped parking spaces are not cart returns.

Comments

stacys1175 said…
Im going to have to agree with you on the picture.How could someone do such a thing? taking the picture was bad enough but letting on the net. That is even worse.such a sad thing to hear about.Also being a person that parks in handicapped parking place I will have to agree with you on that to it seem like everytime I want park I always have to more a cart. Ialso want to thanking for coming by my blog and blessing mewith your great comments. thank you stacy
Stylin said…
Hi wixy
That picture would be in bad taste,I have not seen it.
On a side note,In India we dont say Merry christmas as it denotes "Merry making"(drinking,etc)but we say Happy Christmas !
And if my dad ever saw the word xmas,it would drive him crazy!

Popular posts from this blog

Post 800: Time to chat

Hi Guys, It's hard to believe that this is post number 800 for this blog. I started this blog out of my desire to communicate. Since radio and television is becoming more and more automated and less and less personal, I'm glad I made the decision to go in this direction as it has given me many blessings. When I first decided to write my musings, a friend from the radio and television boards who goes by the name of newsnomore, told me not to be discouraged if I didn't get any readers. The fact that I did in the early going made me surprised and grateful that anyone was enjoying what I wrote. I've had people tell me that maybe it wasn't meant for me to ever be in radio, that maybe my calling was blogging. Nowadays I think blogging makes for better two way conversation than terrestrial radio, especially the way I do it, non confrontational. The closest I come from any confrontation is the innocent digs that Pat and I shoot at each other. On an average day I get betwee

Sometimes Sports are Just Sports

 This may or may not make the final cut of my book. I was writing about some events this weekend and what had started as a joyous Friday night at my home school district became a weekend of heartbreak in the area after what happened at another school. Sometimes We Need to Realize That Sports are Just Games   Friday nights in late summer and early fall are sometimes a big deal for high school students and their families. As the long-time band announcer for my local high school, it is a time of year I always look forward to. This past Friday night was originally supposed to be the homecoming game for the local high school. The schedule had to be changed a bit because of the uncertainty of the opponents being able to field a team. There was talk around the league that they may have had to forfeit this game, so homecoming for the local school was rescheduled. The opponents, which are rivals of my local school district, were able to field a team and the game was played. The game was

Lawson's Chip Dip

On a couple of occasions I have written posts dedicated to Lawson's, a convenience store chain that was located in Ohio for close to 50 years. In the late 1980's the chain was bought out by Dairy Mart, of Engfield Ct. Dairy Mart was then purchased by Alimentation Couche-Tard, and most stored were rebranded Circle K. Something that has survived the years since Lawson's has left the landscape is Lawson's Chip Dip. I get many hits on this blog from people out of Ohio, I'm thinking former Buckeyes, looking for availability of this chip dip. I had gotten an email from a former resident of Cleveland looking for it. I emailed Circle K about this sometime ago asking if it was possible to send the dip out to those out of state, they said because of quality issues that it was not possible. My only suggestion would be to get in touch with Circle K in your home area and ask them to start stocking this very popular item that seems to make every get-together complete. Now we wil