Skip to main content

From the Pressbox-Homecoming

Cliff Note: This is a little out of sequence, and the last show is still in draft and incomplete. It should be up in the next day or so.

Ahh yes, homecoming, when all the old graduates come back. The court is introduced and the queen is crowned. And a football game is played.

Friday night the young and struggling Rittman Fighting Indians were host to the Hooterville, I mean Norwayne Bobcats. There were some big boys on the Norwayne squad. It looked as though they all had loaded their share of hay on the wagon this past summer. I am just kidding, but Norwayne does have a day during the school year when some of the students drive their tractors to school.

But I will say, the fearless leader of the World's Greatest Band Boosters(tm) did give me my band t-shirt before the game. The back of the shirt does say "It's all about halftime" so we will go straight to the halftime show.











Our guests, the Norwayne Marching band was the first up with a sampling of the show they use during their band competitions. Since their banbd director was a drummer in college, their drum line, although small, is rather impressive.

Their show for this night was selections from Superman and they ended the show in a Superman insignia midfield.

After the Marching Bobcats left the field, it was time to please the home crowd with the seventieth edition of the Rittman Indians Marching Band!

Cliff Note: It was great to be back behind the home microphone after being away for a month.

After opening the homecoming halftime show with "Prime Time," it was time to showcase the talents of one of our student musicians. Senior euphonium player Caleb wrote the marching routine performed to the hit song from "Austin Powers," "Soul Bossa Nova." All I could say was "YEAH BABY!"

The show ended with "Born to be Wild" pictured above with Brooke and Aimee twirling fire batons. The appreciative audience loved it.

I wish to conclude this post by stating that the show band is alive and well and marching in Rittman, Ohio. We are here to entertain.

Oh, the game? Let me say that Rittman is now 0-6.

Comments

Liquid said…
I love the song choices!
I imagine that halftime was VERY entertaining.

Great post!
Connie said…
Your enthusiasm for the band is great, Wixy! I can hear your pride in those kids through these posts. :)

Ooops, sorry about another loss for the football team though. :(
Cliff said…
Daisy, the enthusiasm this past Friday was on the field, in the stands, and in the pressbox. I have a great product to shout about and the audience showed their appreciation by their response. These students put a lot of hard work year round in their music. They also work long and hard during the summer to perfect their marching. I don't mind giving them the credit they deserve.
Cliff said…
And Liquid, it was entertaining. I heard good things about both bands from people I talked to after the game.
Pat Jenkins said…
did your kids go to rittman wixy?
Cliff said…
Those raised in my home went to Rittman. Now as a matter of pride, my alma mater happens to be Highland High School, in Medina County. The Highland Hornets are currently 6-0.
Pat Jenkins said…
transfer back there wixy!!! he he!!

Popular posts from this blog

Post 800: Time to chat

Hi Guys, It's hard to believe that this is post number 800 for this blog. I started this blog out of my desire to communicate. Since radio and television is becoming more and more automated and less and less personal, I'm glad I made the decision to go in this direction as it has given me many blessings. When I first decided to write my musings, a friend from the radio and television boards who goes by the name of newsnomore, told me not to be discouraged if I didn't get any readers. The fact that I did in the early going made me surprised and grateful that anyone was enjoying what I wrote. I've had people tell me that maybe it wasn't meant for me to ever be in radio, that maybe my calling was blogging. Nowadays I think blogging makes for better two way conversation than terrestrial radio, especially the way I do it, non confrontational. The closest I come from any confrontation is the innocent digs that Pat and I shoot at each other. On an average day I get betwee

Lawson's Chip Dip

On a couple of occasions I have written posts dedicated to Lawson's, a convenience store chain that was located in Ohio for close to 50 years. In the late 1980's the chain was bought out by Dairy Mart, of Engfield Ct. Dairy Mart was then purchased by Alimentation Couche-Tard, and most stored were rebranded Circle K. Something that has survived the years since Lawson's has left the landscape is Lawson's Chip Dip. I get many hits on this blog from people out of Ohio, I'm thinking former Buckeyes, looking for availability of this chip dip. I had gotten an email from a former resident of Cleveland looking for it. I emailed Circle K about this sometime ago asking if it was possible to send the dip out to those out of state, they said because of quality issues that it was not possible. My only suggestion would be to get in touch with Circle K in your home area and ask them to start stocking this very popular item that seems to make every get-together complete. Now we wil

Sometimes Sports are Just Sports

 This may or may not make the final cut of my book. I was writing about some events this weekend and what had started as a joyous Friday night at my home school district became a weekend of heartbreak in the area after what happened at another school. Sometimes We Need to Realize That Sports are Just Games   Friday nights in late summer and early fall are sometimes a big deal for high school students and their families. As the long-time band announcer for my local high school, it is a time of year I always look forward to. This past Friday night was originally supposed to be the homecoming game for the local high school. The schedule had to be changed a bit because of the uncertainty of the opponents being able to field a team. There was talk around the league that they may have had to forfeit this game, so homecoming for the local school was rescheduled. The opponents, which are rivals of my local school district, were able to field a team and the game was played. The game was