Skip to main content

More tales from the Parallel Universe(tm)

Some may wonder how I got to posting on various radio forums. We will go back in history to July of 2001. The great frequency swap had taken place. That's where WHK-AM went from 1420 to 1220, WKNR went from 1220 to 850, WRMR went from 850 to 1420, WHK-FM went from 98.1 to 95.5(became the Fish), WCLV went from 95.5 to 104.9, WAKS went from 104.9 to 96.5, and WKDD went from 96.5 to 98.1(whew). By the way I did that by memory.

Aro-10und that time I discovered the Listening Party forum on Cleveland Live. It was being used in leiu of bathroom stall walls by the radio employees and looked at non professionals, including former broadcast school students, like we were intruders. At the time, no one had to register a forum name, so there was alot of nonsense, like "Doncha just love Gary Dee?" or "ffffffffffffffffffun", and alot of insider rumor mongering. Like I said before, my type wasn't appreciated on the board, so after awhile, I did more reading than posting.

Then came the revamping of the forum, and the debut of 74WIXYgrad. I took the name for obvious reasons, but being the insecure person that I am, I still let the pros post.

Around that time, I also discovered Radio-Info.com. For awhile there was no registratione
needed, so I posted there more often. Later they too required registration, and for awhile there
I was WIXYGrad.

Radio-Info had all the pros posting there, or so it seemed. They also had a real live moderator on each board, so nonsense didn't last too long. Only problem was for awhile I was out of my league over there, as I never learned the fine art of faking people out. I would post something on a thread and for the longest time there the thread would die. I learned alot from those who would post there. The cast of characters included OldAkronite, nate81, JohnnyMorgan, BigWoody(now known as VODood), and others. Those that I haven't introduced to my non-forum friends are Nate81, who is a twenty-five year old broadcast student, who has a broadcast encyclopedia crammed into his young head, and VODood, program director of a radio station in Toledo, and owner of a thriving voiceover business.

OldAkronite in June of 2005 started his now very popular blog "Ohio Media Watch". It was partially based on his many posts at Radio-Info.

I was keeping one eye on the listening party forum. It seemed that there would be some real spirited discussions on the board, sometimes causing the board to "flame". It was after one of these "flamings", caused by spirited discussions about the last Super Bowl, that I started posting with any regularity. Of course I was among those taking pot shots at JimOhio123(it was like shooting fish in a barrel). As I said in my last post, Jim is the ultimate talk radio fan.

I found out this past spring that the listening party was taken over by baby boomers, so I joined in. It was after one of Jim's very annoying posts that Lynn had remarked that he was one of those that hadn't worked in radio. I then responded that I was never in the business, and Lynn told me that I wasn't an idiot either. Danny Wright then posted that he was surprised about that. And that started my current life as a forum poster. I've also made friends through e-mail and phone calls. Hopefully I know my limits, and don't post when I don't know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post 800: Time to chat

Hi Guys, It's hard to believe that this is post number 800 for this blog. I started this blog out of my desire to communicate. Since radio and television is becoming more and more automated and less and less personal, I'm glad I made the decision to go in this direction as it has given me many blessings. When I first decided to write my musings, a friend from the radio and television boards who goes by the name of newsnomore, told me not to be discouraged if I didn't get any readers. The fact that I did in the early going made me surprised and grateful that anyone was enjoying what I wrote. I've had people tell me that maybe it wasn't meant for me to ever be in radio, that maybe my calling was blogging. Nowadays I think blogging makes for better two way conversation than terrestrial radio, especially the way I do it, non confrontational. The closest I come from any confrontation is the innocent digs that Pat and I shoot at each other. On an average day I get betwee

Sometimes Sports are Just Sports

 This may or may not make the final cut of my book. I was writing about some events this weekend and what had started as a joyous Friday night at my home school district became a weekend of heartbreak in the area after what happened at another school. Sometimes We Need to Realize That Sports are Just Games   Friday nights in late summer and early fall are sometimes a big deal for high school students and their families. As the long-time band announcer for my local high school, it is a time of year I always look forward to. This past Friday night was originally supposed to be the homecoming game for the local high school. The schedule had to be changed a bit because of the uncertainty of the opponents being able to field a team. There was talk around the league that they may have had to forfeit this game, so homecoming for the local school was rescheduled. The opponents, which are rivals of my local school district, were able to field a team and the game was played. The game was

Lawson's Chip Dip

On a couple of occasions I have written posts dedicated to Lawson's, a convenience store chain that was located in Ohio for close to 50 years. In the late 1980's the chain was bought out by Dairy Mart, of Engfield Ct. Dairy Mart was then purchased by Alimentation Couche-Tard, and most stored were rebranded Circle K. Something that has survived the years since Lawson's has left the landscape is Lawson's Chip Dip. I get many hits on this blog from people out of Ohio, I'm thinking former Buckeyes, looking for availability of this chip dip. I had gotten an email from a former resident of Cleveland looking for it. I emailed Circle K about this sometime ago asking if it was possible to send the dip out to those out of state, they said because of quality issues that it was not possible. My only suggestion would be to get in touch with Circle K in your home area and ask them to start stocking this very popular item that seems to make every get-together complete. Now we wil