Skip to main content

Can't we all just get along?

This post is directed toward all my Christian friends, and those that I have the privilege of posting with on the national message boards, Radio-Info and Radioinsight.

I have long wondered why one style of music is right and another is wrong when they both are used to glorify God?

A little bit about myself, at least as far as my walk with the Lord is concerned, I accepted Christ as my savior on June 6, 1980. Immediately before that I was going to a Southern Baptist church with my wife and her family. My wife's family is from West Virginia, and their favorite kind of worship music is Southern Gospel. I grew up in the Lutheran church, where they played mainly hymns, or traditional music.

Anyways, when I went to church we heard quartet music, and when the congregation sang, it was in four part harmony. Most were blissfully ignorant, and felt that that was most honoring to God.

Most of the people that went to church there were from the south and came to Northeast Ohio to get jobs at Ford, Chevy, Republic Steel, and the like. They brought their musical tastes with them.

Personally, I am as Northeast Ohio as the day is long. My parents and all my Grandparents were also from this neck of the woods. When I went to broadcast school, I wanted to be a big time rock and roll disc jockey. I had a ton of record albums at my house that you only heard on WMMS.

I met my wife in 1977 and as we were going together if I wanted to be with her on Sunday morning, Sunday night, or Wednesday night, I would be with her in church. The church was the afore mentioned Southern Baptist Church. Like everything else I've taken an interest in, I jumped in with both feet.

At the time there were three Christian radio stations in the immediate area-WSUM/1000AM in Parma, WTOF/98.1, Canton, and WCRF/103.3, Cleveland. WSUM and WTOF were owned by Mortensen Broadcasting. WSUM played contemporary music, WTOF played (Southern)Gospel music. I listened to both these stations when I could, and enjoyed such artists as Petra, Imperials, Cathederal Quartet, Kingsmen, Inspirations, Bill Gaither Trio among others. I was very diverse in my musical tastes. I always respected the people I now went to church with, and for the most part their music of choice was Gospel.

Being a "Buckeye" I've had debates with my father-in-law, who is a very good man, but the whole time I've known him has been very set in his ways. He didn't like contemporary music because it "sounded like rock-n-roll". I said that gospel sounded like country. He then corrected me by saying that country sounded like gospel(BTW, he doesn't own a computer).

Through the years I've been on both ends of the CCM vs. Southern Gospel debate. I can give solid arguments for both styles, and I also like hymns. They are all used to glorify God. If we give glory to the artist, then we've lost our focus.

Fast forward to 1996. WTOF was sold to Salem Broadcasting. They dropped most of the Gospel music, changed the calls to WHK-FM and was mainly a teaching/talk station. There was a minor uprising among church members and singers alike. I was told that station management toldd those that called to voice their displeasure that if they wanted Southern Gospel, start their own station. Salwem later relented, putting their "Solid Gospel" package on WHLO/640, until the station was sold to Clear Channel. In all fairness, a big money format it probably wasn't. The demo was aging and moving back to the south. But in fairness to those who remain, they lost a valuable ministry when the format left. My question, rhetorical as it may be, when should a ministry become a business, and vice versa.

I have adapted, as I mainly listen to WCRF, as their focus is to the adult comtemporary crowd.
Some haven't. You can get Southern Gospel on the internet, but there are some, such as my in-laws that don't own a computer.

I've posed the question on the national forums, and I get alot of attitude and alot of finger pointing. Matt Smith, moderator on Radioinsight.com gave an excellent response to a question I posed(however I forget to put a "t" in question, and didn't realize it until I couldn't edit my mistake). Click here for his response.

We have to learn how to minister to others, and sometimes that means going outside our own preferences.

Comments

Anonymous said…
WIXY:
I think your testimony is quite fasciating and mirrors mine somewhat..I had gone to church with a friend of mine in School when I was a teenager and gotten saved in August 1977 at Canton Baptist Temple. WTOF was not all Southern Gospel but I really enjoyed finding WCRF as they played songs I KNEW from church..They were much traditional then. As years went by I discovered Southern Gospel and that has become my preference along with the Hymns. Was disappointed when Salem took off Southern Gospel from the airwaves and sold out 98.1 to the "Rock and Roll Crowd" I found that more and more even WCRF felt they had to be more "Contemporary"..I feel disenfranchised because Very few in Christian Radio thinks the Conservative, Older Christians account for much anymore.

I have taken to buying a Shortwave radio and listening to a Station in Newport North Carolina that simulcasts its FM programming on Shortwave..This Station is Fundamental, KJV Only..With Hymns and Gospel Songs(Knowing you wont see anything aaproaching this station in NE Ohio. In saying all that I dont mind some contemporary songs, but the words have to bve understandable and Glorify God..

Sorry for rambling but as mentioned another time there is a definite bias against Conservative Music and thought on the national radio boards..

God Bless
Tim Lones
Anonymous said…
Wow WIXY! You have impressed me. I really have enjoyed your blog. I just now got the nerve to comment to you. Keep it up! God Bless you. Is there a way to contact you via email? Levi says hi!
Anonymous said…
(Quote)I may never like SG personally, but those who are blessed by it should be able to enjoy it. Just please give those of us who prefer CCM and Christian rock the same courtesy. (Unquote)

anotherguy:
I have no problem with those that enjoy contemporary music. I will admit to being biased as far as music that blesses and uplifts me..Some Contemporary music is fine (for me)..
Cliff said…
RIPJoelRose,

Thanks for your kind comments. I added a link to my e-mail in my profile.

AnotherGuy,

I am in agreement with your comments for the most part, as I listen to most kinds of Christian music. I am working on a related post about this topic.

Tim,

Thanks for your continued support. There is a BBN repeater station out of Wooster at 91.9.

Thanks everyone,
Cliff

Popular posts from this blog

Post 800: Time to chat

Hi Guys, It's hard to believe that this is post number 800 for this blog. I started this blog out of my desire to communicate. Since radio and television is becoming more and more automated and less and less personal, I'm glad I made the decision to go in this direction as it has given me many blessings. When I first decided to write my musings, a friend from the radio and television boards who goes by the name of newsnomore, told me not to be discouraged if I didn't get any readers. The fact that I did in the early going made me surprised and grateful that anyone was enjoying what I wrote. I've had people tell me that maybe it wasn't meant for me to ever be in radio, that maybe my calling was blogging. Nowadays I think blogging makes for better two way conversation than terrestrial radio, especially the way I do it, non confrontational. The closest I come from any confrontation is the innocent digs that Pat and I shoot at each other. On an average day I get betwee

Lawson's Chip Dip

On a couple of occasions I have written posts dedicated to Lawson's, a convenience store chain that was located in Ohio for close to 50 years. In the late 1980's the chain was bought out by Dairy Mart, of Engfield Ct. Dairy Mart was then purchased by Alimentation Couche-Tard, and most stored were rebranded Circle K. Something that has survived the years since Lawson's has left the landscape is Lawson's Chip Dip. I get many hits on this blog from people out of Ohio, I'm thinking former Buckeyes, looking for availability of this chip dip. I had gotten an email from a former resident of Cleveland looking for it. I emailed Circle K about this sometime ago asking if it was possible to send the dip out to those out of state, they said because of quality issues that it was not possible. My only suggestion would be to get in touch with Circle K in your home area and ask them to start stocking this very popular item that seems to make every get-together complete. Now we wil

Sometimes Sports are Just Sports

 This may or may not make the final cut of my book. I was writing about some events this weekend and what had started as a joyous Friday night at my home school district became a weekend of heartbreak in the area after what happened at another school. Sometimes We Need to Realize That Sports are Just Games   Friday nights in late summer and early fall are sometimes a big deal for high school students and their families. As the long-time band announcer for my local high school, it is a time of year I always look forward to. This past Friday night was originally supposed to be the homecoming game for the local high school. The schedule had to be changed a bit because of the uncertainty of the opponents being able to field a team. There was talk around the league that they may have had to forfeit this game, so homecoming for the local school was rescheduled. The opponents, which are rivals of my local school district, were able to field a team and the game was played. The game was