Skip to main content

ONE YEAR OF BLOGGING:Rittman Indians Marching Band


The year 2000-2001 was my daughter, Sylva's, junior year of high school. I knew that Larry Boggs'(former announcer) daughter was about to graduate from high school the year before, and I told Sylva that if Ed Sims needed a new announcer, I would gladly do it for them. He told her that he would try me out for a few weeks...

As I have begun my eighth season as the announcer for the Rittman Indians Marching Band, I realize that a few weeks can be a long time. I also realize that I am using what little broadcast training that I remember to do some good and hopefully positively impact the lives of some very important youth that reside in my town, Rittman, Ohio.

Having spent my high school years as a football player(actually, riding the pine), I didn't have much respect for the halftime entertainment at the games. I was of the opinion, as are many, that band members aren't athletes, and don't need to be in shape. I have found out differently by being associated with this band.

The band works out in the hot summer weather and is on the field in the cold rain of late October. They lug around heavy instruments-BizDecision was a tuba player, ask him. The Rittman band is a show band and they show some great coordination, which takes a ton of practice.

This year when all is said and done, the band will perform in 5 home halftimes and 7 shows.

Supporting this band is the parent group, which I have tagged as the World's Greatest Band Boosters(tm). I'm sure that band boosters from other districts may disagree with me, but what the heck, this is my blog. This group provides chaperoning for the shows, refreshments for the band and the visiting band after halftime shows and runs a concession stand during the home games. They also do an excellent job of raising funds to help alleviate the participation fees necessary because of budget cuts in the past few years.

They have also done a great job of taking care of their announcer, the loudest announcer in Northeast Ohio.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post 800: Time to chat

Hi Guys, It's hard to believe that this is post number 800 for this blog. I started this blog out of my desire to communicate. Since radio and television is becoming more and more automated and less and less personal, I'm glad I made the decision to go in this direction as it has given me many blessings. When I first decided to write my musings, a friend from the radio and television boards who goes by the name of newsnomore, told me not to be discouraged if I didn't get any readers. The fact that I did in the early going made me surprised and grateful that anyone was enjoying what I wrote. I've had people tell me that maybe it wasn't meant for me to ever be in radio, that maybe my calling was blogging. Nowadays I think blogging makes for better two way conversation than terrestrial radio, especially the way I do it, non confrontational. The closest I come from any confrontation is the innocent digs that Pat and I shoot at each other. On an average day I get betwee...

Lawson's Chip Dip

On a couple of occasions I have written posts dedicated to Lawson's, a convenience store chain that was located in Ohio for close to 50 years. In the late 1980's the chain was bought out by Dairy Mart, of Engfield Ct. Dairy Mart was then purchased by Alimentation Couche-Tard, and most stored were rebranded Circle K. Something that has survived the years since Lawson's has left the landscape is Lawson's Chip Dip. I get many hits on this blog from people out of Ohio, I'm thinking former Buckeyes, looking for availability of this chip dip. I had gotten an email from a former resident of Cleveland looking for it. I emailed Circle K about this sometime ago asking if it was possible to send the dip out to those out of state, they said because of quality issues that it was not possible. My only suggestion would be to get in touch with Circle K in your home area and ask them to start stocking this very popular item that seems to make every get-together complete. Now we wil...

Happy Birthday to...

ME! Today, I am 53.