Friday, January 23, 2009

Twas the Month After Christmas

Twas the month after Christmas
And people are spastic
They're getting the bills
From using their plastic

They open their mail
And reach for their pills
Relief they will need
For running up bills

They look at their budget
For things they must slash
The price they must pay
For having no cash

The account at the bank
Is such a disaster
To debt they are slaves
And the card is the master

I can handle the bills
In November they scoff
And now two months later
These bills set them off

The credit card bills
Have just reached their maxes
The news won't get better
We'll soon pay our taxes

15 comments:

Brenda said...

Whew, that's scary!! Glad we paid cash for everything this year!!!

:o)

74WIXYgrad said...

We did too. I was just inspired to write this, and you notice I didn't write it in first person.

david5258 said...

cliff-you need to send that poem to dave ramsey--david

Michelle Dawn said...

We cut our cards awhile back cash only from now on. especially me.

Pigeon said...

I have one credit card I use for buying online, that gets paid off each statement. Debt is a scary thing.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Great poem. Such a clever man...

dons_mind said...

cute - we also had a cash-only holiday.

Pat Jenkins said...

in debt for life.. whether to people or banks!!....

Editor of the Remember Love Canal blog said...

Did you send this to Dave? He would enjoy this!

Ms Hen said...

Very cool poem.

I was very careful this year..

I did spend 200.00 on my youngest sons; but for outtings; 2 movies; Iceskating and The Empire State building.

Do you know his favorite thing was just playing monopoly with me.. and that was FREE.

Jen said...

Bravo! to the Poetry Man!

Buy what thou hast no Need of and ere long thou shalt sell thy Necessaries. ~Benjamin Franklin

coltfan said...

good poem cliff and so true.

Daisy said...

Clever poem, Cliff. Well done. :)

SandyCarlson said...

Having lived this story, I did it with cash this year. The debit card had kept me out of a lot of trouble by online shopping. Amazing paradox.

Thanks for making me smile, Cliff.

Amias said...

I read this before and thought I had posted a comment ... still, this year bankruptcy is my middle name!

Good poem, by the way.