Skip to main content

Sports venues


Right now I want to do a local post that may be of interest to all my friends who stop here.

This past Friday, the Jacobs Field sign came down from the front of the ballpark where the Cleveland Indians play their home games. The park is now called Progressive Field, and that sign will be up before opening day.

The original name of the venue was supposed to be called Indians Park, but then Indians owner, Dick Jacobs purchased naming rights that expired in 2006, so the Indians sold the rights to Progressive Insurance for the next 16 years. I sort of hoped the Eaton Corporation would buy the rights and call the field Eaton Park. The vendors would really have loved the subliminal message.

Of course the natives have become restless because the name has changed. Hello! It's still on the corner of Ontario and Carnegie, and the Tribe still plays there. If you are screaming for tradition, call it League Park.

My biggest problem is the big building next door. It's currently called Quicken Loans Arena. The former name was Gund Arena(which to me sounded like a social disease.) I thought that building was unnecessary. Let me explain.


From 1974-1994, the Cleveland Cavaliers called the Coliseum their home. It was built with private funds by the original owner of the Cavaliers, Nick Mileti. He had moved them from a 40 year old building in downtown Cleveland called the Cleveland Arena. Not everybody was in favor of that move, because it was out of Cleveland and Cuyahoga County to Richfield, in Summit County, which was a 25 minute drive from downtown Cleveland. For 20 years, the Coliseum was home to basketball, hockey, indoor soccer, and World Team Tennis. There was a boxing match where Muhammed Ali fought Chuck Wepner. That fight was the inspiration for the Rocky movies.

There also was ice shows, concerts, and the circus, and a whole bunch of other things.

Like I said before, the building was built with private funds. It was also maintained with private funds. Nick Mileti sold it to the Gund Brothers, who bought it with their own money. The Gunds were lured downtown by the Gateway Commission, who built them a new building, using tax dollars, collected from a "sin tax." The Coliseum was sold to Cuyahoga Valley National Park, who bought it with tax dollars. It was torn down with tax dollars. This paragraph has been very taxing.

Your tax dollars at work.

Comments

Anonymous said…
WIXY...The Richfield Coliseum held a lot of special memories for me. I cannot believe that building lasted only 20 years. What a monumental waste of money! I saw everything from pro wrestling to concerts to the Cavs to arena football (The Cleveland Thunderbolts coached by Earle Bruce). The Coliseum was one of the first arenas in the country to feature loges but they were high up in the arena.

For a trip down memory lane of the Coliseum, I recommend going to get a burger at Whitey's Burgers in Richfield. There are many photos and a lot of memorabilia on the walls of the restaurant which draws huge crowds.

Regarding the naming of Jacobs Field...big deal. The Jacobs Field era is not over. It's just a different name. When a woman gets married, she likely changes her name but it's the same person.

Lastly, my wife saw me reading this post about the Coliseum and other venues and she said, "Let it go!" I can't. What people like me see is that old buildings, especially sports stadiums and arenas, have a certain charm or character to them that cannot be "built" in new venues.
Stylin said…
I know about the stadium from Drew Careys show!!!All the way in India !
When my husband and I went on a road trip on the bike we passed it
I love the tribe. I love watching the movies where they are winning. I have always been an Indian fan, but haven't seem them lately. This was an interesting read Cliff.
Bella said…
Sounds like it's all bout POLITICS to me!

Bella
Anonymous said…
I certainly miss the Coliseum. Never went to a sports venue there, but certainly heard my share of music. Michael Stanley rocked that joint. Was certainly a HUGE waste tearing it down. I've never been to the old stadium, but have been to (fka) Jacobs Field. Saw my 2nd baseball game there. (the first was at Tiger stadium when I was 12). A few years went by between those games!!

And it seems everything that doesn't make a whole lot of sense has something political behind it!

B.
Pat Jenkins said…
along with being a cavs fan as a youngin (randy bingo smith and nate thurmond some of my favorite players) i also liked the george gervin led san antonio spurs. went to see the spurs play the cavs (world be free days now) in the coliseum. back in the ninth grade. my only trip... last time we went by it i thought it was still up.. true?
Cliff said…
Pat: The Coliseum was torn down in 1999. the location is now a part of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. For what the taxpayers paid for it this piece of land in Richfield, Ohio is truly a "rich field."
Anonymous said…
Hi WIXY!

It is unfortunate that a great building such as the Richfield Coliseum has been eliminated from the local culture after only 20 years of use. The Coliseum was at one time one of the largest privately owned arena in the country. The first of its kind to have luxury boxes and big video (closed circuit) screens at either end of the arena. A great place for concerts and sporting events. You were literally right on top of the action. The only drawback was that concession stands and restrooms were at the first level. I personally enjoyed the drive there from Youngstown vs. going to downtown Cleveland.


I understand that the creation of Gund Arena contributed to the re-birth of downtown Cleveland along with Jacobs Field, The Rock Hall, Browns Stadium...etc...but at a huge cost to the taxpayers. To my knowledge, most of those projects were partially funded with local taxes. Now that Cleveland is again facing financial woes, a population that keep dwindling, an education system pretty much at a loss...makes you think that all of that tax revenue could have been used more wisely. Attracting tourism is one thing, but maintaining and supporting a community would have been the smarter choice.
Anonymous said…
I miss the cavs in richfield. Although I live in Berea, going to games down there was something special. The Q is a great arena but, the the feel is not the same. I went to the final game at the colliseum and the first game at the gund and was sad that first game. The crowd was not the same.

Popular posts from this blog

Post 800: Time to chat

Hi Guys, It's hard to believe that this is post number 800 for this blog. I started this blog out of my desire to communicate. Since radio and television is becoming more and more automated and less and less personal, I'm glad I made the decision to go in this direction as it has given me many blessings. When I first decided to write my musings, a friend from the radio and television boards who goes by the name of newsnomore, told me not to be discouraged if I didn't get any readers. The fact that I did in the early going made me surprised and grateful that anyone was enjoying what I wrote. I've had people tell me that maybe it wasn't meant for me to ever be in radio, that maybe my calling was blogging. Nowadays I think blogging makes for better two way conversation than terrestrial radio, especially the way I do it, non confrontational. The closest I come from any confrontation is the innocent digs that Pat and I shoot at each other. On an average day I get betwee

Sometimes Sports are Just Sports

 This may or may not make the final cut of my book. I was writing about some events this weekend and what had started as a joyous Friday night at my home school district became a weekend of heartbreak in the area after what happened at another school. Sometimes We Need to Realize That Sports are Just Games   Friday nights in late summer and early fall are sometimes a big deal for high school students and their families. As the long-time band announcer for my local high school, it is a time of year I always look forward to. This past Friday night was originally supposed to be the homecoming game for the local high school. The schedule had to be changed a bit because of the uncertainty of the opponents being able to field a team. There was talk around the league that they may have had to forfeit this game, so homecoming for the local school was rescheduled. The opponents, which are rivals of my local school district, were able to field a team and the game was played. The game was

Lawson's Chip Dip

On a couple of occasions I have written posts dedicated to Lawson's, a convenience store chain that was located in Ohio for close to 50 years. In the late 1980's the chain was bought out by Dairy Mart, of Engfield Ct. Dairy Mart was then purchased by Alimentation Couche-Tard, and most stored were rebranded Circle K. Something that has survived the years since Lawson's has left the landscape is Lawson's Chip Dip. I get many hits on this blog from people out of Ohio, I'm thinking former Buckeyes, looking for availability of this chip dip. I had gotten an email from a former resident of Cleveland looking for it. I emailed Circle K about this sometime ago asking if it was possible to send the dip out to those out of state, they said because of quality issues that it was not possible. My only suggestion would be to get in touch with Circle K in your home area and ask them to start stocking this very popular item that seems to make every get-together complete. Now we wil